Why I do what I do
Every Monday morning at 9:30 I have a reminder that pops up on my computer, tablet, and phone. You may think this is crazy or a little overkill but I, as an insurance producer who is compusated according to 1) how hard he works and 2)how much business he has and keeps on the books 3)and how well he services and cares for that business, enjoy being motivated and encouraged each Monday morning by this pop up. Not that it is a “super pill”, but that I need a little kick. Most of my life I have been self employed, and I know that hard work is rewarded…that’s what’s so great about living in the USA! What a blessing to be paid to help people and enjoy what you do! Here’s exactly what “pops up” every Monday morning:
Remind myself the “Why” I do what I do:
- To give God the gloryWhether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Cor 10:31
- And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Col 3:23
- For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord’s. Ecc 9:10
- He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks…For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord’s. Rom 14:6,8
- To help people with their insurance needs
- For Robin’s sake
- To leave something to my children’s children
Some of you may think of my scripture references here as “out there”, but to me these words bring me strength. We all have priorities and because we are all different our priorities are different. They change throughout life also! So for right now, where I am in life, these are my “whys” I work daily.
As a Christian number one should be number one always, regardless of what stage of life I am walking. I find the verses above motivating, for God is the source of all my strength and knowledge
- I have to do what I do as an insurance producer. When I realize that the very Creator of the universe sustains me day by day, I strive to do my best for Him and His glory. “Nough said!”
- Insurance producers often experience rejection, angry policy holders, explaining higher insurance premiums to clients, or cancellations because policy holders found a “cheaper” price. I have been cussed, discussed, and chewed up and spit out at times and have wondered why I became an insurance agent after leaving the dairy farm. But then…I meet with a widow of a farmer who was just killed in a farming accident and hand her a check for $250,000. I can’t tell you the peace that comes to me when I have done this! To be able to encourage that same farmer two years earlier to increase his life insurance policy because of the debt load reminds me of the “why” I do this. To stop by a house that is still smoking and walk up to the family just to give a hug and word of encouragement and help in their difficult time of need reminds me of the “why” I do this. To sit down with a couple and review their coverage and then to see the peace of mind they have when they walk out of my office because now they know they have the best protection they need at the best price reminds me of the “why” I do this.
- When I was a high school agriculture science teacher and afterwards a dairy farmer, Robin and I were raising and homeschooling three children. To provide for our kids’ needs then and for their future was our “why” then. Now, being empty-nested, Robin is a big reason I do what I do. My love for her has never been stronger, and I want to do my best for her. And now with grandchildren in our family, I desire to leave something for them when I leave this world.
You know, I find it frustrating to hear people talk about how they never saw their last insurance agent or never heard from him or her or never discussed their policies. I don’t know how those agents sleep at night. I love helping people and seeing smiles when they feel good about their policies and protection. I don’t sell insurance policies…I help provide “peace of mind” and that makes all the difference to my clients and me!
That’s why I do what I do.